At the rate that I am appearing in the Library of Congress, I’m going to be a celebrity! This week was uncharacteristically busy by normal standards, but as long as it’s productive work, I say bring it on! It occurred to me that I didn’t really explain very well how the Hear Me Now Project works. I will attempt to remedy that now. My work has partnered with storyCorps to record interviews people from all walks of life. If the participants are willing, these interviews are sent off to the Library of Congress to be archived for future reference. This is a big deal, because the Library of Congress has existed for almost as long as the United States itself. The interview process consists of three people: the interviewer, the interviewee, and a facilitator. The facilitator sets up the equipment, manages the paperwork, and explains the entire process to participants. Can you guess who got to learn all the tricks of the trade this week? Read on and find out!
Monday, March 11, 2019
- Well, my involvement with StoryCorps/Hear Me Now is a gift that keeps on giving! I was invited to attend a 2-day seminar on how to administer Hear Me Now interviews (ie. become a facilitator), in lieu of my usual work. I don’t know when/if I will be overseeing interviews, but going to the experience was awesome! Many, many thanks to the co-workers who drove me to and from the event.
- I was invited to a post-seminar Happy Hour at the bar across from the conference building we used. Normally bars are a bit noisy for my taste, but I was smiling too much to care today!
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
- I had to be ready an hour earlier than usual today, because the conference started sooner, but I managed time “like a Boss” this morning. Not only was I on time for my pickup, I had enough time leftover to do some room cleanup. Yeah Baby! I got an adrenaline spike in addition to my smile this morning!
- Today we studied the practical aspects of setting up the recording equipment we would be using to facilitate recordings. This is the first time I’ve ever used (or heard of) a Marantz 661k MKII. What a lovely, lovely, piece of kit! Another all-day smile for me!
- Who knew you could strike up such cool friendships over just 2 days! I hope we meet again guys (and gals)! Y’all made me smile big-time!
- My day wasn’t over yet either! I got home in time to go with my family to movie Tuesday! We saw “Fighting with My Family” this time. I have trouble relating to the wrestling culture, but a true story about a down-and-out rebel without a cause who works hard, grows up and “makes it” is so timeless it can make anyone smile, not to mention that the movie had some truly hilarious moments.
- Whew! Being tired for all the right reasons makes me smile!
Wednesday, March 13, 2019
- I had to deal with a tricky bit of sidewalk construction on the way to work today. I arrived in one piece though, which is always cause for celebration (and a smile)
- Our office hosted the practice sessions for the Hear Me Now/Storycorps Project, so I did get to see the people I had met from the previous couple of days again. Some of them wanted to go sightseeing for the last couple of days in California, and since they were from out of town, my information on the best bus routes actually came in handy for someone else besides me! Being useful makes me smile!
Thursday, March 14, 2019
- It was my turn to do a practice session today for the StoryCorps stuff. I ended up playing the role of interviewer twice and facilitator a third time (see my explanation above). It turns out I may have a knack for interviewing people! Discovering new potential avenues for skills is always a treat capable of making me smile!
- I often have difficulty handling heated lunches at work, so it was with great jubilation and plenty of smiles that I finally figured out how to transfer my heated lunch from the microwave to a nearby table in the lounge without asking for anyone’s help! Figuring out new solutions to motor planning problems is always a treat!
Friday, March 15, 2019
- I already mentioned daylight savings time setting in last week. Now the temperature rose above 70°F for the first time in several weeks. Spring is in the air! From now until June, I will be able to enjoy the best part of the sun without being too hot. This is the kind of whether California is known for, and being lucky enough to live here makes me smile.
- I got a haircut today. Not having to worry about my bangs being in my eyes for a little while is a wonderful feeling.
Saturday, March 16, 2019
- It’s been a few months, but I decided to celebrate another nice day by walking around my block on crutches. Usually I’m too exhausted after said ordeal to feel much of anything, but the memory of the gentle breeze made me smile once I regained my breath
- We finished “The Umbrella Academy” tonight. GIVE ME MORE, NETFLIX, ’cause a well done show makes me smile!
Sunday, March 17, 2019
- I was on the rails again for the first time in over a month today! Specifically I took the Metro gold line to Old town Pasadena and spent the day in the company of a very good friend (whom I will henceforth refer to as AC when he comes up again). Great companionship is a huge part of what any good life, and being part of such great friendships makes me feel like the luckiest man in the world sometimes. These moments of existence are the stuff of sepia toned memories that leave people smiling for years to come.
- I had a comic moment of embarrassment today when I realized that I had completely forgotten that it was St. Patrick’s Day.
What brightened your week?