I’m making an executive decision with these posts. From now on, I’m planning to release them every following Monday. That’s not as hard as it sounds, because I usually work on these throughout the week as the events in question take place. Of course, that means this one is late.
Something big, or at least very interesting, happened this week. I don’t know if anything will come of it but for those of you reading, it will most likely unfold in real time here, on my weekly smiles posts. Stay tuned!
Monday, March 4, 2019
- I cleared the first hurdle to get a new wheelchair today! I managed the doctors visit myself this time! #adulting makes me smile.
- I was outside for a good chunk of the day, working on the project I mentioned on Sunday. The weather was brisk (by California standards), but still very pleasant. Productivity and the outdoors don’t usually mix for me, but they combined to give me a warm smile today, despite the chill
- My older Brother called from Boston today during dinner. His adventures are always worth hearing.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
- If I did a bullet point for everything extra I got for lunch today, probably fill up half the page (and make this exercise way too easy!). One of my coworkers gave me a Binget, my supervisor gave me a shortbread cookie with dark chocolate on it, and my desk partner gave me two pieces of butter cake. I know I will probably start gaining weight if I am not careful, but people are seriously generous with deserts where I work. I may regret it one day, but for now it’s making smile.
- My grandmother treated me to the movies again for ticket Tuesday! This time we saw Greta. The plot was extraordinarily well constructed, and played out to maximum effect. Though the movie was dark, it was executed sufficiently well enough to make me smile (and shiver simultaneously).
- I stayed awake tonight to see a storm pass through. This is one of the very few times I have actually seen a true bolt of lightning (normally I just see a flash). Nature is beautiful, even when it is at its most deadly. Not to mention the light show was definitely worth the smile.
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- I had to spend a significant chunk of my day on the phone dealing with a huge bureaucratic mess, which is a complete bore. Fortunately my employer gave me the day off (for an unrelated reason), so at least I didn’t have to deal with two things at once. Happy coincidences like that make me smile.
- While we’re on the subject of staying home today, I managed to avoid the rain again! I’m still smiling about it.
- Okay, I should probably stop talking about food. But I can’t help putting in this one last little tidbit. I got to finish some leftover sirloin steak today for dinner. Even in a leftover state, good sirloin steak sends me into a state of bliss.
Thursday, March 7, 2019
- There is an organization at my work partnered with a government program called StoryCorps. My employer decided that I had a sufficiently interesting life story to warrant being interviewed! My mom stopped by work today to conduct the interview. It went beautifully. As a bonus, because it is an official StoryCorps interview, it will be catalogued in the US Library of Congress! You’d better believe I’m smiling!
- Today I discovered, quite by accident, that I work in the same office as the doctor who delivered me the day I was born! Weird coincidence, eh? Finding that out blew my mind.
Friday, March 8, 2019
- I found out that SpaceX’s latest Falcon Rocket docked with the International Space Station today! The US is officially putting rockets back in space!! Hearing that makes me smile.
Saturday, March 9, 2019
- I started prepping one of my computers for my project today, which involved wiping the old OS and putting a new one on. The advanced partitioning is still giving me problems, but messing with Linux makes me smile, even when it gives me a headache.
- I got to bed early tonight. A good night’s rest gives me a content smile every time.
Sunday, March 10, 2019
- OH MY GOD, Daylight Savings time starts today (in the USA)!!!!!! I’ll be able to stay out longer when I travel! Smiling doesn’t go far enough, this calls for raucous noises of joy!
- Speaking of travel, I often watch Tina Malave’s “Eye on L.A.” on Sundays. This was the first new one I’ve seen in a couple of weeks. Her upbeat attitude and constant stream of travel Ideas make my Sundays that much brighter.
What brightened your week? Tell me about it in the comments below!